Savory Parmesan French Toast with Prosciutto and Avocado
Yields 2 servings | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes
4 large eggs
1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (plus more for topping the toast)
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
3-4 pieces of thinly sliced prosciutto
4 slices bread (I used Killer Dave's Whole Wheat)
1/2 avocado, sliced
2 handfuls of arugula
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (plus more for drizzling)
1. Preheat oven to 250° F. Place cookie sheet or oven-safe dish on the rack.
2. Whisk 2 eggs, milk, 1/4 cup of Parmesan, salt and pepper.
3. On a griddle or large pan, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Cook the prosciutto until crispy, about 5-7 minutes, flipping every few minutes for even crisping. Transfer prosciutto onto a paper towel lined plate and let drain.
4. Keep the same griddle/pan on medium heat (leave prosciutto drippings.) Soak bread slices on both sides in the egg mixture then place in pan, sprinkling a little Parmesan on the top as it cooks. Flip after about 2 minutes, sprinkle more Parmesan on the opposite side. Flip again after 2 more minutes and repeat, 2 more minutes per side. Transfer cooked slices to the oven to keep warm. Leave the oil in the pan for eggs. Turn off heat temporarily.
5. While toast is coking, take the handfuls of arugula, drizzle a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar over it, and toss to coat.
Time to plate:
6. Divide the arugula up between to plates. Add two pieces of toast to the plate. Top with prosciutto and then sliced avocado.
7. Turn heat back to medium with same pan and let warm. Crack two eggs, keeping yolk intact, and cook sunny-side up for 2-3 minutes. Whites of the eggs should be cooked through and a spatula able to slide underneath.
8. Add eggs to the top of the avocado. Drizzle with a little more olive oil and balsamic vinegar. (I also garnished with a little Aleppo pepper for color!)