These tasty morsels offer a little sugar, spice and everything nice all in one bite. Think spicy hot chocolate... but a cookie.
Yields 24 cookies | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes
For the topping: 1/3 cup sugar 1 tsp cinnamon
For the cookie: 1/2 canola oil (vegetable oil works too) 1/4 cup maple syrup 3 tbsp non-dairy milk 2 tsp vanilla 1 cup white granulated sugar 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 1/2 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp chili powder
1. Combine sugar and cinnamon for the topping in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. Add oil, syrup, milk, vanilla and sugar into a bowl and beat on medium with an electric mixer until well combined.
4. In a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, cinnamon and chili powder together. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix until crumbles begin to form. 5. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls then roll the dough balls in the topping to coat evenly. Space them out on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Take a flat-bottomed glass (or spatula) and gently smush the dough balls into 1/4 inch thick discs.
6. Bake for 10 minutes. They should look cracked and sugary. Enjoy!