Inverted Chicken Parmesan
Updated: Nov 8, 2021
A twist on an Italian classic... baked not fried... and without losing the crunch of the bite from topping with sauce.
Yields 7-9oz | Prep Time: 5 minutes
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts 4 tbsp Sun-dried Tomato Pesto (see recipe) 2 eggs, beaten 1 tbsp flour 1 cup plain Panko bread crumbs 1 cup grated Parmesan 2 tsp Italian Seasoning 1 cup shredded Mozzarella Lemon wedges, for garnish and light spritz
1. Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a 9x13 casserole dish with foil and lightly oil to prevent sticking. 2. Using two bowls or shallow pans, whisk together flour and eggs in one bowl and Panko, Parmesan and Italian Seasoning in the second.
3. Apply a tbsp of pesto to the top of each chicken breast then dip in the flour/egg mixture, coating on both sides.
4. Then move the chicken to the bread crumbs mixture and coat well on both sides.
5.Line the chicken breasts in the oiled dish pesto side up.
6. Bake uncovered for 20-22mins. Remove from oven and turn the oven to broil on high.
7. Sprinkle a generous handful of mozzarella over the top of each breast. Pop the chicken back in the oven for about 2-3 minutes, watching to make sure it doesn't burn.
8. Garnish with a couple of lemon wedges.