Orange Scented Gingerbread
25+ years of hosting our annual family holiday get together centered around the decoration of little happy cookie men and we finally mastered this classic staple. All the ginger with a kiss of citrus.
Yields 24 cookies | Prep Time: 60 minutes | Cook Time: 8 minutes
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 tbsp ground ginger 1 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon 1/4 tsp salt 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar 1/2 cup margarine, softened 1/4 cup Lyle's Golden Cane Syrup 2 tbsp molasses 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce Zest of one orange
Icing (optional): 1/2 cup powdered sugar 2 teaspoons unsweetened almond milk
1. Spoon flour into measuring cup, then sift the flour into a bowl. Whisk in ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
2. Combine brown sugar and butter in a bowl. Beat with a mixer on medium for about 2 minutes or until fluffy. Add cane syrup, molasses and applesauce; beat another minute or until combine.
3. Add flour mixture into the wet ingredients, a little at a time, until just combined.
4. Fold/knead in orange zest. Flatten into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 350° F.
6. Divide dough in half (I typically knead each half in my hands to ensure the zest is evenly distributed.) Roll each portion out on a floured surface with a rolling pin to about an 1/8 inch thick.
7. Use your favorite cookie cutters to create cookies and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet about an inch apart. Bake 8 minutes. Once cooked, transfer immediately to a cooling rack and let cool if you plan on icing them.
For the icing:
8. Mix powdered sugar and milk together in a bowl. Should be thick enough to put in a piping bag with a small round decorating tip. Pipe onto completely cooled cookies and let dry before storing or wrapping.