This recipe is great if you need a quick breakfast or snack option during the middle of the week. Move over cereal.
Yields 12 muffins | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes
2 very ripe bananas (brown patches on skin and mushy to touch) 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt (or dairy-free yogurt) 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk 1/3 cup granulated sugar 2 tbsp unsalted butter or margarine, melted 1 tsp vanilla extract 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce 1 1/2 cups plain bran cereal 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour 1/2 cup wheat germ 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
2. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan with butter. Set aside.
3. Combine bananas, yogurt, milk, sugar, butter, vanilla and applesauce in a bowl the mix until combine. Add bran cereal, mix thoroughly and let stand for 5 minutes.
4. In a separate bowl, combine flour, wheat germ, baking powder and baking soda and whisk well.
5. Fold the flour mixture into the cereal mixture a little at a time, ensuring that the combined batter is wet all the way through.
6. Spoon into muffin pan cups and bake for 5 minutes.
7. Turn the oven down to 350° F and bake another 10 minutes (no need to remove the muffins from the oven while temperature is lowering) or until toothpick comes out clean.
8. Immediately remove from the pan and transfer muffins to cooling rack.