A comfort food that is both brimming with flavor and healthy to boot. Jazz it up with your choice of toppings but ricotta is never a wrong move.
Yields 6 servings | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 35 minutes | Total Time: 50 minutes
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided 1 lb ground chicken 1/2 large yellow onion, diced 2 tsp garlic, minced 4 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes 2 1/2 Tbsp tomato paste 1 3/4 tsp dried basil 3/4 tsp dried oregano 1/2 tsp dried thyme Salt and ground black pepper, to taste To plate: 8 lasagna noodles, broken into bite size pieces 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese 8 oz ricotta cheese (make it plain for this dish) Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook the ground chicken until browned. Drain off fat set aside.
2. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in pot, add chopped yellow onion and sauté until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add in garlic and sauté 30 seconds longer.
3. Add in chicken broth, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, thyme, cooked ground chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, prepare lasagna noodles according to directions listed on package.
6. In a mixing bowl, using a fork, stir together mozzarella, parmesan and ricotta.
7. When ready to plate, add noodles and soup into a bowl and top with cheese mixture and chopped parsley.
Note: Unless you intend on eating the whole pot of soup immediately, keep the soup, cheese mixture and noodles separate for storing. Soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.