Whether you need it plain or herbed up, this ricotta is so easy, you'll wonder why you ever bought it from the store.
Yields ~1.5 cups | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes
8 cups whole milk 1 tsp salt 6 tbsp white vinegar or fresh lemon juice 2 tsp Italian seasoning 2 tsp grated Parmesan cheese 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1. Heat milk and salt in a sauce pan on medium, stirring occasionally so that the milk doesn't burn on the bottom. Heat until it starts to foam around the sides and simmering.
2. Remove from heat and add vinegar or juice, stirring only once to combine the mixture.
3. Allow to sit for five minutes.
4. Line a large sieve with a thin layer of cheesecloth and place over a large bowl or measuring cup to catch the excess liquid (whey).
5. Pour mixture into the sieve and allow to strain for 10 minutes*.
6. Remove the cheese from the sieve and place in a bowl with seasoning, Parmesan and nutritional yeast. Whip well to combine. Discard the whey.
*For firmer ricotta, you can increase strain time to 15-20 minutes or until desired consistency.
Note: For plain ricotta cheese, omit the seasoning, Parmesan and nutritional yeast.