Updated: 1 day ago
Who says you have to use pasta for a "pasta" dish? Single servings of a low carb lasagna are just a squash away for a light summer dinner.
Yields 2 servings | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 75 minutes
1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise 5 oz baby spinach 1/2 cup of Panko breadcrumbs 1/2 cup grated parmesan 3/4 tsp minced garlic 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella, plus more for topping 2 tablespoons olive oil 1/2 tsp coarse salt, plus more for squash 1/2 tsp black pepper, plus more for squash 1/4 cup Tomato Basil Sauce, plus more for boats
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut squash lengthwise, remove seeds and brush inside with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast flat side down on a foil-lined baking sheet for 45-50 mins.
3. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 mins and up the oven temperature to 425 degrees.
4. Sauté minced garlic in olive oil over medium-high heat for a couple minutes then toss baby spinach in and sauté until just wilted. Remove from heat and transfer into bowl along with Panko, Parmesan, mozzarella, salt and pepper. Scrap out the squash with a fork and add it to the spinach mixture.
5. Place mixture back in pan and heat until cheese is melted, stirring occasionally. Add sauce and stir until combined.
6. Spoon a little sauce into each boat and coat the bottom then spoon squash mixture into the boats. Sprinkle a little mozzarella on top. Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes until cheese is melted.
Note: This can easily be a vegan dish by substituting the Parmesan with 1/8 cup of nutritional yeast and topping with a dairy-free cheese.