Creamy pasta sauce doesn't have to contain cream. The main star of this dish gets a new face and joins lemon and basil to become pesto.
Yields 4 servings | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes
8 ounces uncooked spaghetti pasta 1 ripe medium avocado, pitted 1 tsp minced garlic 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves Juice from 1/2 lemon 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more if needed 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt Freshly ground black pepper, to taste Lemon zest, for serving
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
2. While the pasta cooks, combine the garlic, lemon juice and olive oil in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
3. Add the basil and avocado and blend until creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. If the sauce is too thick, add a bit more oil. Add salt and pepper and blend one last time.
4. Drain the pasta and place it back in the pot. Add the avocado sauce and toss to coat.
5. Top with lemon zest, pepper, and fresh basil leaves, if desired.