Updated: Nov 21, 2021
A throwback to my childhood, it's now so popular in my own house, I have two different versions. This one however... is my favorite.
Yields 4-6 servings | Prep Time: 30 minutes
8 oz uncooked ribbon noodle pasta (or similar such as Fuscilli) 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped 1 tbsp olive oil 3 tbsp whole wheat flour 2 cups of beefless beef broth 1 tbsp soy sauce 1 tsp lemon juice 1 tsp tomato paste 1 lb of mushrooms (baby bellas and/or button) chopped 1/2 tsp dried thyme 1/2 tsp dried sage 1/2 tsp Kosher salt 1 tbsp white wine vinegar 2 tbsp of vegan cream cheese Ground pepper to taste Flat leaf parsley, chopped (a little for garnish as well)
1. Cook noodles per directions on the package. Undercook them slightly since they will simmer with the sauce later on.
2. Drain and set aside.
3. In a large skillet (think larger than large) add olive oil and chopped onion and saute for 3 minutes over medium high heat.
4. Add the flour, a tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly until combined.
5. Gradually add the broth, soy sauce, lemon juice and tomato paste, stirring constantly. Stir until the mixture becomes thick and bubbly.
6. Add mushrooms, sage, thyme and salt. Stir to combine. I typically put half the mushrooms in at a time and let simmer about 5 minutes each round.
7. Once all the mushrooms have been incorporated and shrunk in size, add vinegar and simmer for 4 minutes.
8. Add noodles, cream cheese, black pepper and parsley and cook on low for an additional 5 minutes.
9. Garnish with more parsley and enjoy!